- CAIR Action Alert: Tell Congress that Immigration Reform Should Ban All Forms of Profiling
CAIR welcomes the recent immigration reform bill, S. 744, which provides a pathway to citizenship for the nation's 11 million undocumented immigrants. Section 3305 of the bill is a valuable first step that requires expansion to protect the rights of all Americans from racial profiling by law enforcement – a problem that disproportionately impacts immigrant and minority communities. While banning the use of race or ethnicity by federal law enforcement officers, S. 744 fails to prohibit profiling based on religion or national origin and includes troubling exemptions in cases of national security and border protection.
- CAIR: A Test of Attitudes Toward American Muslims Yields Hopeful Outcome (AP)
Muslim civil rights leaders say the anti-Islam reaction has been more muted this time than after other attacks since Sept. 11, which had sparked outbursts of vandalism, harassment and violence. Ibrahim Hooper of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, which monitors bias and hate crimes against Muslims, said his organization has seen no uptick in reports of harassment, assaults or damage to mosques since the April 15 bombings. Leaders noted a larger, broader chorus of Americans warning against placing collective blame.
- GOP Congressman Says Islam Will 'Motivate People To Murder Children'
- Muslim Bashing in the Wake of Boston Bombing
- Following Boston Attacks, Uptick in Islamophobia, Gestures of Tolerance
- Threat of Jihadist-Inspired Homegrown Terror Remains Small (Boston Globe)
Put simply, Americans can be reassured that the terrorism threat posed by Muslims residing in the United States remains small.
- CAIR-California: 2nd Annual "Muslim Day at the Capitol" on Tuesday
On Tuesday, April 30, members of the California Muslim community will participate in the 2nd Annual "Muslim Day at the Capitol." This event seeks to promote community engagement in local politics and to enable attendees to discuss issues of concern to the Muslim community, including civil rights and immigration, with legislators. The day will include a series of appointments with state representatives and senators. CONTACT: CAIR-SFBA Executive Director Zahra Billoo, 626.252.0885, E-Mail: email@example.com; CAIR-LA Communications Coordinator Yasmin Nouh, 715.851.4851, E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CAIR-New York: The Case Against Muslim Day at the Capitol
- CAIR: Calif. Muslims to Join Japanese Americans in Manzanar Camp Pilgrimage
On Friday, April 26th, members of the Japanese-American and Muslim community will participate in the 8th Annual Manzanar Pilgrimage.
- Internships Available with CAIR-St. Louis
- Sunday, April 28: CAIR-MD Inaugural Fundraising Banquet
- CAIR: Not 'Brainwashed' - U.S. Women Who Converted to Islam Speak Out (NBC)
Schreiber, who is a community outreach and events coordinator for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, says she was drawn to the religion after meeting other Muslims on her trip abroad before graduating from St. Mary's College of Maryland in 2009.