- Feds Drop Charges Against Former Portland Muslim Suing FBI Over Alleged Torture
- Anti-Mosque Group Linked to Va. Beach Councilman (Virginian-Pilot)
A few weeks before last month's vote on the city's first mosque, Councilman Bill DeSteph received a 25-page PowerPoint presentation. It came from the leader of the local chapter of ACT for America ... That PowerPoint, other correspondence obtained by The Virginian-Pilot through the Freedom of Information Act and interviews show that DeSteph used information from the local ACT leader to help make his decision on the mosque, and that ACT hoped he would be a political voice in Richmond for its agenda ... This is not first time DeSteph has raised questions about mosques or Islam. In 2010, he wrote to New York City officials objecting to plans for a Muslim community center near the World Trade Center site. The letter was nearly identical to an online petition from ACT. At the time, DeSteph was dating the daughter of the founder of the national ACT group, Brigitte Gabriel.
- CAIR Islamophobia Backgrounder: ACT! for America and 'Brigitte Gabriel'
- CAIR: Column Promotes Crass Stereotypes of Muslims (UPI)
American ideals embrace the notion of freedom of religion. Our realities can be somewhat different. A recent article distributed by UPI ("Mosques -- Smiling dens of iniquity?" by James Zumwalt) shows that the willingness to promote crass religious stereotypes remains a serious issue.
- Jacob Bender Is First Jew to Lead CAIR Chapter (Jewish Daily Forward)
Jacob Bender is set to be the voice of Philadelphia-area Muslims, to take on discrimination they encounter in workplace and in the public sphere, and to fight expressions of hate. And his Jewish faith, Bender believes, can only help him do the job effectively.
- Video: CAIR-CT Speaks Out Against Racial, Religious Profiling by Police
- Islamophobia Watch: Arizona GOP to Hold Anti-Islam Event
- NY: Both Bill de Blasio, Joe Lhota Say Schools Should Close on Muslim Holidays(Daily News)
- De Blasio Tells Muslims He’ll End Broad NYPD Spying If Elected (CBS)
- Mass. Governor Patrick Wishes You a Wonderful Eid al-Adha Holiday
- MN: Muslim Army Vet Offers Other Women Shelter in a Storm (MPR)
- Video: Islam Takes Root in South African Township